Hot 3-Point Shooting Paces Hofstra Past New Hampshire
December 12, 2009
Hofstra’s deadly 3-point shooting combined with UNH’s struggles behind the arc help the Pride cruise to a 75-58 win Saturday in Hempstead, N.Y. (NNL video by Timothy Robertson)
Three days after an offensive struggle against Manhattan, the Hofstra Pride men’s basketball team caught fire at home Saturday in a 75-58 win against the University of New Hampshire.
Led by lethal shooting by senior Cornelius Vines (5-6 from 3-point land), Hofstra dominated the Wildcats as the Pride extended its lead to 24 points at one point. Hofstra finished 10-15 shooting from 3-point range. By comparison, New Hampshire shot just 3-19 from long-range, including 0-7 in the second half.
Junior guard Charles Jenkins led Hofstra once again, dumping in 21 points and picking up three assists. The team’s captain entered the game averaging just over 19 points per game.
Freshman Chaz Williams came up a point shy of a double-double as the freshman point guard finished with 9 points and 10 assists. Williams didn’t start for the 7-3 Pride, but played 31 minutes in the win.
After pouring in 25 on Wednesday in a win against Central Connecticut State, New Hampshire guard Alvin Abreu scored a team-high 16 points, but shot 4-15 from the floor, including 2-7 from 3-point range. The Wildcats (3-4) dropped their fourth road game of the season.
The Wildcats return home next Sunday to face intra-state rival Dartmouth at home.
Hofstra will put their 4-game winning streak on the line against St. John’s (7-1 through Saturday) next Sunday at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan as part of the Holiday Festival. The Pride faces either Davidson or Cornell on Dec. 21 at the Garden.
Read the Hofstra game recap.
Read the New Hampshire game recap.
Live Twitter Stream (reverse chronological order):
- Hofstra has won its last four meetings against the Red Storm and holds a 5-2 advantage this decade.
- Hofstra 75, New Hampshire 58 Final http://tmic.fm/oy40hvptfot
- Hofstra leads UNH 73-49 with 3:47 left in the game. Jenkins leads Hofstra with 21 points. UNH just 3-18 from 3-point land
- Listen to my audio tweet. http://tmic.fm/oy40df96oc0
- Hofstra up 18 on UNH with 15:35 left in the second half
- Out of the gate Hofstra scores 7 points in 95 seconds. UNH takes a timeout. 50-33 Hofstra ahead of New Hampshire
- 2nd half under way
- Hofstra leads New Hampshire 43-31 at halftime. The 3-point arc is the story of the game so far. http://tmic.fm/oy40bej56ne
- Hofstra leading New Hampshire 31-24 with 3:23 left in the first half. Jenkins leads all scorers with 7 points.
- Hofstra up 23-15 over UNH with 7 minutes left in the first. Pride guard Chaz Williams with 5 assists
- Listen to my audio tweet. http://tmic.fm/oy407ukdt80
- Jenkins back with a new number after getting blood on his 22 uniform
- Hofstra leads 7-6 five minutes into the game. Star Pride guard Charles Jenkins on the bench after he got his tooth knocked out in a scrum.
- Hofstra vs UNH about to get under way
- This is Tim Robertson and I will be reporting live from the Hofstra men’s basketball game against UNH. Game time is 4 p.m. #nnl http://tmic.fm/oy404d2q0er